2022 was an intense year for privacy, with an all-time record in terms of fines and industry-defining moments which will undoubtedly have ripple-effect consequences in years to come. And guess what? 2023 is already lining up to be even bigger.
In order to help you start the year on the right foot, we’ve prepared a summary of some of the best articles from our blog. From breaking down elementary privacy principles to approaching advanced compliance concepts, country-specific regulations, and more, here is a collection of some of the best privacy resources to start the year with.
- Getting started: Essential articles to understand basic privacy principles
- Advanced content: Detailed information about country-specific regulations and particular industries
- Going forward: The big topics to watch out for in 2023
- Continue learning about privacy throughout 2023
Getting started: Essential articles to understand basic privacy principles
First and foremost, it’s paramount for you to get a good grasp of some of the most basic concepts and topics surrounding privacy and compliance. We suggest that you browse the Education and Privacy 101 categories of our blog, which cover general principles, tips, and best practices for privacy-minded organizations.
Some of the most useful, essential content we’ve published include:
- What are dark patterns?
- CRM, CDP, DMP, CMP, PMP: What is the difference?
- What is consent marketing?
- What is a Privacy Impact Assessment - and how is it undertaken?
Advanced content: Detailed information about country-specific regulations, industry news, and particular industries
Ever since the GDPR was introduced in 2018, the privacy world has been a whirlwind of court cases, fines, and progress to protect consumer data and enforce regulations.
If there were only 4 articles you needed to read to catch up on some of the most important news of the past year, it would be these ones:
- What’s behind the accelerated pace of consumer data regulation and customer preference activity?
- Is Google Analytics illegal in Europe? Here’s what you need to know
- IAB Europe and the TCF: The case goes to the highest European Court
- What Chrome’s cookie deprecation delay and Privacy Sandbox mean for marketers: Insights & next steps
Depending on what industry you work in, privacy and compliance may or may not feel like pressing matters. But whether you’re an e-commerce retailer, a publisher, or a bank, compliance is not an option anymore.
We have published educational content covering many industries and job roles, including:
- Why and how should you place consent at the core of the customer relationship in banking?
- Privacy and retail media: How retailers are risking a major new revenue stream on a weak privacy foundation
- How to reduce your vendor list? Everything a publisher should know.
- How to elevate e-commerce CX without violating data privacy regulations
Are you looking for information on how to be compliant in a specific country or region? Check out our country focus and state focus blog categories, where we go in depth about national regulations and U.S. states laws.
Some of the geographical areas we’ve covered previously include:
- Countries: The Netherlands, Indonesia, Czech Republic, Australia, Switzerland, South Africa, the United Kingdom, Spain, Norway, Finland, Canada (and Québec), Denmark, Sweden, Brazil, Italy, Ireland, and more…
- U.S. states: Colorado, Nevada, California, Connecticut, Utah, Virginia. For information about consumer data privacy laws across the United States, check out our ultimate guide.
For more information, please check out our interactive compliance world map for data privacy best practices, the Data Privacy Barometer.
Going forward: The big topics to watch out for in 2023
Finally, the last category of blog posts you should keep handy are the ones you will most likely need to revisit this year.
We strongly believe that the United States will continue to move towards heavier data privacy regulations in 2023 and the following three blog posts will be particularly useful for any organization looking to comply with local data privacy laws there:
- Data Subject Access Requests (DSAR): The complete guide
- EU-U.S. data privacy framework for data transfers takes step forward
- Consumer Choice and Privacy: What We Know About CPRA So Far?
- The changing privacy imperatives for zero-, first-, second-, and third-party data
- What are Dark Patterns?
Continue learning about privacy throughout 2023
You now have a solid reading list of some of the most essential privacy topics and concepts to master for 2023.
But this is only the beginning.
To dive deeper and stay on top of privacy news this year, make sure to follow our blog closely (duh), subscribe to our newsletter, as well as the Agnostik weekly newsletter which covers everything that’s hot in the privacy compliance and technology world.
If you’re a fervent follower of Didomi, you might remember our 2021 Yes We Trust Summit. We’re excited to share that Yes We Trust will make its return in 2023, in a new, more interactive and engaging format. Make sure to stay tuned.
On social media, we strongly recommend following privacy experts such as Luiza Jarovsky and Stephane Hamel, who will be taking part in an upcoming webinar about The State of Data Privacy around the world in 2023 alongside our CEO Romain Gauthier. And of course, follow Didomi on social media: Find us on Linkedin, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter.
We’ll leave you on this note and wish you a great 2023, full of privacy resources, education and knowledge! Happy new year!